- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- one 10-ounce can tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cubed cooked skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup thawed frozen green peas and carrots (vegetables of choice)
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the rice, onion and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until the onion is softened and the rice is lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.
Add the broth, tomatoes, oregano and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered stirring once or twice, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the chicken and peas; cook, covered, stirring as needed, until the peas are cooked and the chicken is heated through, 3-4 minutes. Fluff the mixture with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 348 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 48g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 25g protein, 66mg calcium.